Friday, February 13, 2009




OK, before anyone calls DFACS, I didn't really tie the kids to the roof. It has certainly be tempting at times!!!

Today we went to the Petrified Forest National Park. There are really two parts with the painted desert in the north and petrified wood in the south. The painted desert was really pretty with all kinds of colors.


This is an old inn that was restored by the CCC in the 30's. It originally was on Route 66
























































This is all that is left of "historic" Route 66 is this area.

























There is petrified wood lying all over the ground in places. It is very pretty with lots of colors due to the different minerals in the water that seeped into the woode. They are very specific that you cannnot take out ANY of the wood or stones. They even have a vehicle check station at the exit to the park. Even though we warned the kids not to pick up anything, when we approached the exit, we asked the kids if they had any rocks in their pockets. Siena was suspiciously quiet and indeed had picked up some rocks. I was all set to confess and turn them in, but the ranger just waved us through. Maybe we are doing something right!!


Tomorrow we are taking a train ride to the Grand Canyon.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Chloe...
    I am glad to see you up and about. I still love you and miss you very much. I hope someone in your family will read this to you.
    Happy Valentine's Day! Love, Riley
    RK + CH FOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. well as least you or should I say Siena has a nice show and tell item. Hope you guys are doing fine and feel free to call anytime. jen

    ReplyDelete